Reducing water use at Australia Square
A collaborative focus on water efficiency across property stakeholders at Australia Square in Sydney has resulted in an improvement in the property’s NABERS Water rating, despite a recent upgrade to the end of- trip facilities. As manager of the property, Dexus set out to improve water efficiency through engaging the facility manager, service contractors and customers in the tower to focus on water wastage.
Key initiatives included:
- Conducting monthly building performance meetings to review current water usage consumption and trends, and put forward ideas for improvement
- Installing additional submetering that allowed for adjustments to toilet flush valves, resulting in 3–4 litres saved per pan per flush
- Replacing the aerators on hand basin taps which has reduced the overall water consumption from these fixtures
- Introducing water plaque signage to remind customers to be conscious of their water use and the importance of minimising water use
- Increasing the awareness and reporting of leaks and drips with security, cleaners, and building occupants
As a result, the NABERS Water rating at Australia Square increased from 3.5 star to 4 star. Dexus is applying a similar program of initiatives across its portfolio to assist in achieving its target of having 1,000,000 square metres of office space with a minimum 4 star NABERS Water rating.