Nurturing well-connected, prosperous and supported communities in and around our buildings
What are Strong Communities?
Our capacity to create value is influenced by the strength and prosperity of the local communities in and around our buildings. We engage with the community through corporate social responsibility programs and through providing spaces servicing our local areas.
Our communities also include our suppliers, with whom we work to manage supply chain risks related to environmental, social and governance issues.
We apply a focused management approach to community collaboration and safety, and actively support local communities through:
- Community engagement - Corporate giving including donations, sponsorships, event partnerships, in-kind support and volunteering
- Connecting with local communities - Connecting with customers and communities across Dexus retail centres, collaborating with local councils, chambers of commerce and industry groups on community issues
- Community hubs - Creating community hubs for work and recreation at Dexus’s sub-regional shopping centres and across the city retail precincts which are connected to CBD office properties
- Community safety - Interacting with local authorities and the community to proactively maintain safe precincts. Retail centre management works with at-risk youth through local youth groups and schools on steps to build safer communities
- Community investment - Consulting with the community on new developments and refurbishments to address community concerns, and for new developments incorporating features that benefit customers and the community
- Creating vibrant working environments - Connecting with customers at a property level to make their office and industrial buildings and the communities they serve vibrant and safe
- Communities that supports women - Supporting women in the property industry through involvement in forums and events that raise awareness of gender equality and unconscious bias and urge action for change
Our performance for Strong Communities
Community contribution in FY18
Employee hours volunteered since FY09
Dexus employees who volunteered
Positive momentum for Strong Communities
We will continue our work with our communities by collaborating with a community partner to provide a holistic approach to creating healthy, enriched and productive customers and building communities. We will also streamline our community fundraising approach so that our customers can provide input into the allocation of funds that we raise.
When it comes to our suppliers, we are collaborating on an industry-wide approach to assessing supply chain sustainability and conducting due diligence to align with forthcoming reporting requirements on modern slavery.
Foodbank at 480 Queen
480 Queen Street in Brisbane partnered with Foodbank, Australia's largest hunger relief organisation, to help their efforts in Queensland. Dexus engaged with customers at 480 Queen Street including our littlest from Guardian Early Learning, who enthusiastically leant a hand delivering what they had collected to concierge.
Non-perishable food and long-life products as well as cash donations were collected through Concierge and included pasta, rice, tins of soup, tea and honey. Customers including HWL Ebsworth Lawyers, BHP, PwC Australia, Guardian Early Learning and First Class Fitness leant their support to Foodbank.
Our sustainability approach
Our sustainability performance
Sustainability reporting library