Enriching the environment means maximising the resource productivity of Dexus's properties to limit the overall environmental impact from its operations and by creating adaptive, enduring and inspiring places.
We understand our influence on the broader environment as well as the places we create and impacts on health, wellbeing and productivity.
Dexus owns, manages and develops high performing, sustainable buildings that exemplify environmental performance and resilience. We adopt a holistic approach - from the boardroom to the plant room - to achieve the following outcomes:
- Enhanced income through higher rental premiums for sustainable buildings
- Reduced operations and maintenance costs
- Improved customer comfort and amenity
- Improved occupant productivity and wellbeing
- Enhanced business reputation
We apply a forward looking management approach to manage our environmental performance and risk. The actions we undertake to enrich the environment in which we operate include:
- Being an innovative, leading environmental performer
- Optimising the environmental performance and resilience of our buildings
- Being a sustainable developer
- Being a low carbon energy producer
- Creating tenant environmental partnerships
- Adapting for environmental resilience
Dexus sets annual performance commitments to drive continuous improvement in line with our Sustainability Approach:
- Deliver 1,000,000 square metres to a minimum 5 star NABERS Energy rating and 4 star NABERS Water rating across the group’s office portfolio by 2020
- Reduce energy consumption and emissions across the group by a further 10% by 2020 using the FY15 baseline, including exploring opportunities for renewables as part of a transition to net zero emissions by 2030
- Consistently demonstrate a resource recovery rate of 80% by 2020 from de-fitting vacated space, actively identifying resources for re-use and increasing waste diversion from landfill
The following environmental issues are material to Dexus:
- Energy efficiency: Optimising energy use positively impacts the environment while reducing operating costs and exposures to changing energy prices
- Water use: Improving water efficiency, onsite water recycling and rainwater harvesting preserves a precious natural resource and reduces utility costs leading to reductions in outgoings and maintenance costs
- Climate change impacts: Assessing climate change risks, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and implementing adaptation measures reduces operational and financial risks and assists in maintaining a property's long-term resilience and competitiveness
- Waste management: Minimising waste, recycling and effective waste handling reduces raw material use and avoids environmental and health related hazards associated with sending waste to landfill
- Biodiversity: Ecosystems and their species perform important biological services. Protecting and enhancing biodiversity provides places for native flora and fauna to reside
Implementing our approach
Measuring our performance
Dexus’s annual Sustainability Performance Pack provides the most comprehensive review of current trends for key metrics, with historical comparison spanning the past five years.
Dexus implements a robust governance approach to identify and assess major business risks and opportunities, and implement initiatives and programs to deliver sustained value in line with our Risk Management Framework and Sustainability Approach.
Additional information on how we implement our management approach is available within our Environmental Disclosures on Management Approach.