FY15 Performance Against Commitments
= Achieved = Not Achieved = Underway
|Enhance the Group's community involvement through engagement in initiatives and employee volunteering targeted to assist charities that support children||Enhanced the Group's community involvement through the implementation of a new initiative, Dexus Diamond Week, an employee volunteer effort which when combined with other activities raised funds towards a $27,950 donation to the Sydney Children's Hospital Foundation|
|Work with charities and community organisations to facilitate events in foyer areas within the Group's portfolio||Facilitated events and fundraising activities in office foyer areas and shopping centres which supported charities including Daffodil Day (Cancer Research & Prevention), The Sculptors Society (community arts organisation), Buffed (employment initiative), Pink Ribbon Day (Breast Cancer), and Musica Viva (Education)|
Volunteering and Donations (Community Development)
Equivalent funds donated or raised
|Corporate donations ($)||270,372||174,122||123,366||139,344||241,053|
|Employee volunteering activities ($)||64,588||72,424||80,623||50,044||65,806|
|In-kind support ($)||596,519||623,909||573,777||470,055||712,295|
|Through Dexus volunteering program (hours)||888||1,059||978||589||792|
Commentary and Methodology
In FY15, 42% of Dexus employees took part in a volunteering event. Dexus has a long-standing commitment to contributing to the well-being of society through the provision of one day's paid volunteering leave to all Dexus permanent employees. In 2015 Dexus launched Dexus Diamond Week, a week of fundraising activities where employees contributed to the Sydney Children's Hospital Foundation and like-minded charities around Australia.
In FY14 Dexus raised a total of $1,019,154 in community support through employee volunteering programs, in-kind support and Dexus's corporate donations. The Group's community contributions increased by $359,711 against the previous year including a 52% increase in in-kind support in the form of space within Dexus retail centres donated for use by charities and not-for-profit community groups to promote and raise awareness of their community contribution and to seek community support.
Donations were comprised of:
- Financial contributions to nominated charities
- Fundraising events
- Community sponsorships, advertising and promotions
- A dollar-for-dollar matching program
- The value of goods purchased for charity events and appeals
In August 2014 the Group launched Dexus Diamond Week, a community partnership with the Sydney Children's Hospital Foundation. Dexus engaged with employees in fundraising and volunteering activities at the Sydney Children's Hospital and other like charities around Australia.
During Dexus Diamond Week 205 people, including Dexus and CBRE employees plus contractors, participated in volunteering activities across eight charities and conducted fundraising and awareness activities in ten Dexus managed office foyers around the Sydney CBD, resulting in donations of $27,950 to the Sydney Children's Hospital Foundation.
In-kind support was provided to not-for-profit organisations or community groups to support their cause/fundraising activities and includes:
- The provision of goods or services
- The value of space provided in the building at no charge
Examples of community contributions include:
- Dexus Property Group supported the Sculptors Society by providing exhibition space within the lobbies across iconic, premium Sydney properties including Australia Square, Gateway 1 Macquarie Place and 1 Farrer Place. During the exhibition building tenants and visitors were able to enjoy a rich collection of sculptures and the artists benefited from having access to a public audience through which they could market their pieces
- At Governor Macquarie Tower, 1 Farrer Place Sydney Dexus collaborated with Edge Environment and Better Buildings Partnership (BBP) to recover and re-purpose 8.5 tonnes of furniture to charitable organisations, enabling productive and creative workspaces with an estimated in-kind value of $50,000
- Plumpton Marketplace donated space to local community groups including Lifeline Western Sydney and Rotary Club of Mount Druitt which enabled them to promote their activities and conduct fundraising through activities such as charity gift wrapping
- Each week Willows Shopping Centre donates use of its car park to the Townsville Rotary Club, which hosts a weekly Sunday markets. The funds generated from hire to stall holders is donated to various community groups throughout the year
- Dexus supported Woodside, its anchor tenant at 240 St Georges Terrace in Perth, with a charitable donation towards "Team Woodside" to participate in the charity fundraiser "Sunsuper Ride to Conquer Cancer"
- The retail team at Smithfield Shopping Centre demonstrated its importance as a community hub by coordinating regular activities with local charities and clubs to raise awareness and funds and to provide community-oriented services for customers.Community groups that benefited included Legacy, the Cairns Surf Lifesaving Club, Young Animal Protection Society and the Far North Queensland Hospital Foundation
Employee volunteering activities include:
- Volunteering leave taken in company time by Dexus employees to undertake community work
- Participation on charity committees/boards where the individual is acting in the capacity as a Dexus employee
Although the statistics do not include personal time or extended leave to raise funds or work for a charity, Dexus supports employees undertaking such activities where appropriate. Volunteer hours are calculated as the total full time equivalent hours worked by employees in nominated community and charitable activities.
Community Engagement Initiatives
Community engagement is a key part of the Dexus sustainability strategy. Across the Group, employees contributed their time and money to worthy causes that benefit the local community. During the year Dexus continued to support the following not-for-profit charities through in-kind volunteering and monetary donations:
- The Wayside Chapel, a non-denominational service that has been providing support for people on and around the streets of Kings Cross since 1964
- CREATE Foundation, Australia's peak body representing children and young people in out of home care
- Sydney Children's Hospital Foundation, which exists to promote the prevention and treatment of illness and injury in children
- The Station, a refuge in the Sydney CBD that provides a range of services for people who are having difficulty attaining and sustaining adequate and secure accommodation, improving their health, personal autonomy and dignity
- Chain Reaction is the Ultimate Corporate Bike Challenge that raises money for sick children by challenging executives who have a passion for cycling and an awareness of their corporate and social responsibilities, to ride a 1,000 plus kilometre course in 7 days
Property Industry Foundation helps young people at risk of homelessness by providing shelter and counselling, developing support for drug and alcohol dependents, assisting young people to develop work and life skills and providing a loving and caring environment, seeking to give at risk youth a chance to gain some control and purpose
Read more information on the Group's Sustainability Approach, Tenant and Customers Disclosures of Management Approach. More information on Dexus's contribution to the Community is available in the People and Culture section of the 2015 Annual Review.