Every boss wants to improve the productivity of their workforce, and employees want to work in great environments. Here are ten (nice) ways to get more out of your workers.
1. Food – Rather than providing convenient but possibly unhealthy snack machines, consider investing in fresh fruit placed in a communal dining area. Life is too short for instant coffee - why not give employees the opportunity to make good coffee, herbal teas or even on occasion have a chef or two cooking meals for everyone, depending on the size of the company?
2. Common space – Providing an area where everyone can get together to read, relax, eat, watch TV or just chat breaks down barriers and allows individuals to share ideas, impart knowledge and form new friendships.
3. Natural light – Natural light improves productivity because it provides warmth, energy, vitamin D and a feel-good factor that will make employees happy to be there.
4. Communicate effectively and efficiently – Nothing destroys an office environment quicker than gossip. Efficient communication of business decisions, via a combination of technology platforms and managers, will help employees feel more secure at work.
5. Flexibility and remote connectivity – These days businesses are expected to be agile. That goes for their workers, too. Employees are regularly out of the office, working in a range of locations including home, interstate, overseas, in airports, cafes and the like. The easier it is to connect and communicate with their colleagues the more efficient they will become. Up-to-date room booking and teleconferencing software will help enormously.