Dexus recognises that there is a direct relationship between the capability of our people and the success of our business. Our ability to harness the expertise of our employees and commitment to delivering excellence creates value and builds strong relationships with customers and other stakeholders. This aids our long term growth and success.
Dexus aims to achieve an engaged and motivated workforce by:
- Developing our people
- Reviewing and rewarding achievement
- Providing a safe and enjoyable place to work
The most material issues related to Dexus’s workforce are:
- Diversity and Inclusion: An inclusive workplace with a diversity of views is a driver of competitive advantage. Diversity means valuing an individual's race, colour, gender, age, religious belief, ethnicity, cultural background, economic circumstance, human capacity, expression of thought and sexual orientation as well as their experiences, skills and capabilities to create a business environment that encourages a range of perspectives
- Workplace health and safety: Dexus has a duty of care to employees, as well as investors, customers, agents and the wider community to ensure all work health and safety risks are appropriately managed
- Wellbeing: We spend a significant amount of their working time indoors. In addition, our mental state, access to quality water and nutritious food, and how we maintain movement and exercise can have profound impacts on our health, happiness, productivity and wellbeing. We value our employees and recognises the importance of their health and wellbeing to drive performance
- Employee engagement and retention: Enthusiastic and engaged employees are most likely to remain at Dexus and contribute positively, leading to better productivity outcomes and lower recruitment costs. Dexus is focused on creating and supporting a culture where employees are engaged and enthusiastic about the business and their own development
- Training and development: Professional development is a key component of recruiting and retaining a talented workforce. Dexus supports the ongoing learning and growth of employees by providing a structured learning and development environment
The boundary for these issues encompasses all Dexus employees and direct contractors across our regional offices and site-based teams within the Dexus group portfolio, with impacts felt across employees and their families.
Management objectives and goals
Dexus promotes communication and transparency throughout the business to ensure our people are aware of the goals and outcomes required to deliver the group’s business strategy and progress key objectives.
Dexus’s employee-related goals are to:
- Develop a high-performance culture
- Make Dexus an attractive place to work
- Enhance Dexus’s industry standing and help deliver sustained value
In order to deliver these objectives, Dexus has four strategies:
- Invest to develop a great culture
- Invest to develop great leaders
- Enhance the People & Communities function to enable employees to be at their best
- Engage, retain and attract the right people
Employee management is delivered by the People & Communities and Risk and Compliance teams. The People & Communities team coordinates the recruitment, training, welfare management, engagement and satisfaction of employees. The Risk and Compliance team oversees employee-related policies and the compliance management framework which maintains an ethical workplace free from harassment, bullying, bribery and corruption.
Dexus applies the following structure and approach for managing our employees:
1. Sustainability Approach
Dexus's Sustainability Approach incorporates the UNPRI ‘six principles’ relating to responsible investment and active property management, and is aligned with our corporate strategy through its overarching goal “to create Sustained Value by adopting an approach that embraces connectivity, liveability and resilience, and is integrated across our value chain.”
This framework incorporates five objectives which describe the stakeholders for whom we implement sustainability initiatives, while the three themes are a frame of reference for initiatives and programs.
- Connectivity - using technology to enable connectivity between people and places and smart operations of Dexus's business and buildings
- Liveability - creating vibrant, inspiring and flexible work places which enhance productivity and foster the well-being of employees and customers
- Resilience - increasing resilience so that buildings and spaces are adaptive and customers and Dexus can prosper long term
Together, the three key themes and five key objectives, form the basis from which sustainability commitments and targets are formed, and how achievement is measured.
The Dexus People and Communities team works for the benefit of employees as part of the group’s Thriving People key objective.
2. People and Culture strategy
The Dexus People and Culture strategy is to:
- Make Dexus a great place to work, by developing great leaders, fostering a collaborative culture and attracting, engaging and retaining the best people
- Build a unique workforce focusing on diversity, inclusion, capabilities, leadership, culture and engagement to differentiate for customers, employees and investors
- Create and align our workforce to deliver our business strategy and achieve business outcomes
The Dexus Group Management Committee (GMC) is the leadership team responsible for delivering this strategic direction. The Executive General Manager (EGM) Customer and Marketing has overall operational responsibility for Dexus's employment, labour management, training and education policies.
3. Dexus’s values
Dexus’s Values define the approach we take to doing business. They underpin our high performance culture and provide us with a common focus, understanding and language for the individual and team behaviours we value most.
- Excellence: Doing a great job
- Integrity: Doing the right thing
- Empowerment: Enabling others
- Innovation: Thinking differently
- Collaboration: Working and growing together
Implementing our management approach
4. Policies and procedures
Dexus policies guide employees through workplace issues. These policies include:
- Employee Code of Conduct
- Human Rights Policy
- Diversity Principles
- Press and Media Policy
- Work Health, Safety and Liability Policy
- Security Trading Policy
All these policies are available in our Corporate Governance section on our website
These policies describe Dexus’s position and guide employees on their conduct and behaviour relating to workplace behaviour, health and safety, discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation, drugs and alcohol consumption, civic duty, community engagement and volunteering, and counselling and employee advisory support.
Dexus’s intranet provides additional guidance to employees about the use of policies, process workflows, escalation processes and governance structures. As part of our compliance program, employees are periodically assessed for their knowledge of these polices.
Dexus welcomes new employees through an onboarding process which includes a Starter Pack to assist them to settle into their role, and compliance training to help them to understand our policies and procedures. New employees are also welcomed by their team members and their profile is socialised via our intranet.
5. Diversity and Inclusion
Dexus is committed to supporting a socially and culturally diverse and inclusive workplace. This helps create a culture that is tolerant, flexible and adaptive to the changing needs of the environment. This approach applies to Dexus employees as well as the Board.
Dexus’s Corporate Responsibility, Inclusion and Diversity Committee is chaired by the CEO to promote workforce diversity and to further the group’s community commitment. The Committee oversees our corporate responsibility programs and leads inclusion and diversity activities.
The Board sets diversity targets and monitors progress against these targets through the People & Remuneration Committee.
Dexus frequently engages with employees to get their views on promoting and managing diversity. Policies and practices with diversity principles include the Recruitment Compliance Policy, reward and recognition programs, talent management processes, learning and development programs, work-life balance and flexible work practices. These policies and processes are reviewed annually.
Dexus recruits based on merit, so that the most appropriately qualified and experienced person is employed for each role. We do not tolerate discriminatory behaviour in our recruitment or people management processes. All managers involved in recruitment and selection processes are appropriately supported and trained. Professional intermediaries are also made aware of the group’s diversity commitment where they are retained.
Dexus publishes annual workforce demographics on the diversity profile of the Board and senior management. This includes a breakdown of role type and seniority by gender.
Dexus undertakes the following initiatives to enhance inclusion, strive for equality and equity, and assist employees with maintaining effective work-life balance:
|Gender equality and pay equity|
|Male champions of change||
|Gender diversity targets||
|Paid parental leave||
|Acting on domestic violence||
|Employee assistance program||
6. Workplace health, safety and wellbeing
Health and safety
The group’s Work Health, Safety and Liability (WHS&L) policy governs the health and safety of employees, investors, customers and the community. The policy governs the development, management and monitoring of tailored WHS&L risk management systems, training of personnel, and designation of responsibilities and resources to meet program obligations. It also governs the group’s Return to Work policy for injured employees, and monitoring, evaluation and reporting of Dexus’s WHS&L performance.
Dexus implements a comprehensive workplace health and safety program that is certified under OHSAS 18001, an internationally applied standard for occupational health and safety management systems. Through this system, Dexus comprehensively monitors the health and wellbeing of employees and manages solutions to prevent workplace incidents.
Dexus’s support goes beyond minimum compliance and reflects our commitment to employee wellbeing. We provide structured counselling and employee advisory services to support employees and manage mental health issues. Health and safety programs are subject to annual external audit and improvement plans are monitored by the Risk and Compliance team and our employee Work Health Safety and Environment Committee. Health, Safety and Environment is also overseen by the Board Risk Committee and the Board.
We recognise the impact a person’s time at work can have on their lifestyle and we aspire for all our people to be fit, healthy and engaged. At Dexus, we have established six wellbeing communities lead by people from all levels and parts of our business, who are empowered to make positive changes in the key areas of:
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Mind, Body & Nutrition
- Workplace & Social
- Professional Development
- Employee Benefits and Recognition
- Corporate Responsibility
Enthusiastic committee members coordinate many wellbeing initiatives (Fitbit challenges, educational speakers), including Wellbeing Month; dedicated to promoting wellbeing in the workplace. Events include presentations by a naturopath on healthy eating and a chiropractor on spinal health, postural screenings and health checks.
7. Training and professional development
Dexus implements a detailed training program to enhance the skills and knowledge of our people. A Training and Education Policy outlines the framework for training employees with a focus on:
- Ensuring that employees maintain the necessary knowledge, skills and experience required to perform their job functions and responsibilities fairly, honestly and efficiently
- Developing new knowledge and skills, to foster innovation and to grow employees’ capabilities
- Updating knowledge and skills for changes to legislation, regulatory policies and standards, company policies and procedures, economic and financial developments, new products and new market practices
- Ensuring compliance with relevant industry training standards and qualifications
- Increasing awareness of Dexus's Compliance policies and expectations relating to ethics and integrity
Managers undertake skills gap assessments for each employee to ensure they have the necessary capacity, competence, knowledge, training, seniority and skills to perform their role.
Training plans are prepared and implemented to maintain and update employee skills and knowledge. Activities include executive coaching, a mentoring program, study assistance and a talent management process designed to foster employee development. Dexus also sponsors several employees to complete their undergraduate and postgraduate courses, management and vocational qualifications.
Training activities also extend to developing the capabilities of the group’s partner providers, including onsite training of facilities management teams in the operation of enhanced building management systems and customer service.
8. Leadership development
Dexus conducts leadership development programs to enhance the capabilities of management and to drive commercial and cultural change. Our leadership program includes individualised leadership plans that target improvement in specific behaviours, skills and knowledge. An online performance management system is used to manage and improve leadership abilities of managers, and facilitate employee self-development. The group’s newer people managers participate in Dexus Management Essentials, which equips new leaders to meet team leadership and role responsibility challenges.
Directors attend facilitated education and training events to meet their Continuing Professional Development requirements and contribute to their obligations set by the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD).
9. Employee attraction and retention
Attraction, engagement and retention of employees is an integrated and continuous process. The Group Management Committee implements the talent management process and the People & Remuneration Committee oversees this process.
Dexus’s recruitment model incorporates the following aspects:
- Promoting opportunities internally first to aid career development and retention
- Utilising new recruitment technology to support an enhanced best practice recruitment process
- Operating a careers website to capture talent pools for key job segments
This model provides an efficient way to access to a diverse range of talent pools, enabling the group to attract the best people in an effective way.
10. Employee performance management
Employees undertake ongoing check-ins with their managers to:
- Evaluate progress against targets and objectives
- Agree with their manager on targets and objectives
- Agree on a personal development plan
- Discuss personal flexibility needs
We adopt a Balanced Scorecard methodology to manage executive and employee performance. These measure contribution and achievements against threshold as well as stretch and outperformance targets. Scorecards also motivate all leaders and employees to strive for outperformance with their teams.
Key performance indicators (KPIs) are agreed with each employee in collaboration with their manager, to provide a measurable yardstick against actual performance. KPIs vary for each employee depending on their role, however all employees’ KPIs include a subset which align with organisational goals and values.
Teams develop scorecards of objectives with associated measures to align to the overall company objectives. The Team scorecards are monitored and updated as priorities change.
11. Reward and recognition
Dexus recognises and rewards employees who contribute to the success and growth of the organisation. Dexus's remuneration structure is based on:
- Market competitiveness
- Alignment of performance payments with achievement of financial and operational objectives that support the group’s risk framework and values-based culture
- A targeted mix of remuneration components including immediate performance payments and deferred performance payments linked to returns over the longer term
The Board People & Remuneration Committee reviews trends in employee reward structures and strategies in other comparable companies. The annual employee remuneration review considers gender pay gaps to maintain gender pay equity.
Dexus engages with employees in an ongoing way through various internal forums including whole of company presentations, team updates, the intranet and email communications.
Dexus assesses employee engagement and seeks feedback through surveys and focus groups. The results of the survey are communicated to the organisation as a whole and to individual teams, with management and their teams adopting solutions to drive improvements to the work environment.
Dexus also assesses workplace culture with the aim of developing a collaborative and constructive culture. Dexus surveys employees to assess our current culture and to gain feedback on range of issues and initiatives including our wellbeing strategies, training and development programs, and how we celebrate our success.
Evaluation and process improvement
Dexus’s employee management strategy outlines the following measures of success:
- Dexus’s great culture and people are recognised externally
- The right people want to work for Dexus and build their careers
- The culture drives performance and is aligned to investor and stakeholder needs
Dexus regularly evaluates its overall strategy and employs a number of mechanisms to monitor performance against strategic objectives, report progress to the GMC, and drive continuous improvements in performance and processes.