FY14 PERFORMANCE AGAINST COMMITMENTS
= Achieved , = Not achieved, , = Underway
|Continue commitment to employee volunteering across the community, specifically with organisations committed to the support and care of the homeless||
Continued commitment to employee volunteering across the community, completing 589 hours of service
Refer to the People and Culture section
|Conduct a review of DEXUS's relationships and types of support activity in the community in order to refresh and align the corporate responsibility program to the DEXUS culture||
The corporate responsibility program was refreshed to align with the Group's culture following a review of existing relationships and community support. An initiative was launched in support of the Sydney Children's Hospital Foundation and other children's hospital charities
Refer to the People and Culture section
VOLUNTEERING AND DONATIONS
Commentary and methodology
In FY14, 49% of DEXUS employees took part in a volunteering event. The theme of 'Building and Housing the Community' provided a broad base for DEXUS to contribute to the well-being of society through its property expertise. In line with DEXUS's corporate policy, no donation or in kind support was given to any political party or politician during the reporting period.
CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY, INCLUSION AND DIVERSITY COMMITTEE
In October 2013 DEXUS established the Corporate Responsibility, Inclusion and Diversity Committee chaired by the CEO. The Committee's objective is to oversee the development and implementation of corporate responsibility policies and practices that support DEXUS's business strategy, and responds to emerging corporate responsibility issues within the built environment.
The Committee is responsible for developing a strategy for monitoring the following business activities:
- Oversee DEXUS's corporate philanthropy program and evaluate its benefits to DEXUS and its staff to ensure that the program continues to align with DEXUS's core strategy
- Focus internally on:
Community sponsorships, advertising and promotions
- working with People and Culture to develop and implement initiatives to enhance staff health and well-being
- promoting workplace diversity and inclusion through events such as 'R U OK day', International Womens' Day and Cultural Diversity Day
The Committee is also responsible for supporting the implementation of diversity targets and principles as determined by the Board.
In FY14 DEXUS raised a total of $659,444 in community support through employee volunteering programs, in-kind support and DEXUS's corporate donations of over $139,000, which represented an increase of 13% on FY13. DEXUS's retail centres led the way with increased sponsorship for community events and donations to charitable organisations. Examples include:
- Willows Shopping Centre donated $2,800 to the Cootharinga Society, which has been supporting people living with disabilities to achieve independence for over 60 years
- DEXUS supported Woodside, its anchor tenant at 240 St Georges Terrace in Perth, with a charitable donation towards "Team Woodside" to participate in the charity fundraiser "Sunsuper Ride to Conquer Cancer"
- The retail team at Southgate sponsored the Made in Melbourne Film Festival, an exclusive showcase for Melbourne filmmakers and films that are 'Made in Melbourne'. The festival aims to provide emerging and established filmmakers a platform to showcase their work
Donations were comprised of:
- Financial contributions to nominated charities
- Fundraising events
- Community sponsorships, advertising and promotions
- A dollar-for-dollar matching program
- The value of goods purchased for charity events and appeals
In kind support was provided to not-for-profit organisations or community groups to support their cause/fundraising activities and includes:
- The provision of goods or services
- The value of space provided in the building at no charge
Employee volunteering activities include:
- Volunteering leave taken in company time by DEXUS employees to undertake community work
- Participation on charity committees/boards where the individual is acting in the capacity as a DEXUS employee
Although the statistics do not include personal time or extended leave to raise funds or work for a charity, DEXUS supports employees undertaking such activities where appropriate. Volunteer hours are calculated as the total full time equivalent hours worked by employees in nominated community and charitable activities.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT INITIATIVES
Community engagement is a key part of the DEXUS CR&S strategy. Across the Group employees contributed their time and money to worthy causes that benefit the local community. Over the past year DEXUS consolidated its ongoing relationships with a number of key charities including:
- Barnardos builds relationships between disadvantaged Australian children, young people, their families and the community and is at the forefront of child welfare services
- The Wayside Chapel, a non-denominational service that has been providing support for people on and around the streets of Kings Cross since 1964
- CREATE Foundation, Australia's peak body representing children and young people in out of home care
- Sydney Children's Hospital Foundation, which exists to promote the prevention and treatment of illness and injury in children
- ASX Thomson Reuters Charity Foundation, a foundation that targets corporate Australia to help those in need. Each year DEXUS, together with other a range of other ASX 200 listed companies each donate $800 which is pooled into a share portfolio that is then auctioned to raise money for children and medical research charities. In FY14 the auction of the portfolio raised $41,600
- The Station, a refuge in the Sydney CBD that provides a range of services for people who are having difficulty attaining and sustaining adequate and secure accommodation, improving their health, personal autonomy and dignity
During the year, DEXUS contributed almost $660,000 of donations and in-kind support to community organisations and other charities including Wesley Mission, Barnardos Australia, Sydney Children's Hospital, Wheelchair Sports and various local charities in regional areas across Australia.
Read more information on the Group's Community charter and its Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability approach. More information on DEXUS's contribution to the Community in FY14 is available in the People and Culture section of the 2014 Annual Review.